How To Stay Sun Smart All Year Round
Posted on 05/10/18
Summer may be coming to an end but sun safety should be at the top of our minds all year round. Over 750,000 Australians are treated for skin cancer each year, that’s over 2,000 people every day*. Whether you work outdoors or in an office, you will still need to protect your skin from the Australian sun. Here are our 5 tips to sun proof your skin.
1. Limit sun exposure between 10am – 3pm, when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
2. If you spend a lot of time outdoors, purchase clothes that have a UPF rating (ultraviolet protection factor) that blocks out both UVA and UVB (SPF is just UVB). Some fabrics do a better job than others; polyester is a great for sun protection whereas cotton and rayon may not perform as well.
3. Don’t forget about the nose, ears, neck, hands, and feet when applying sunscreen. If you don’t have much hair, apply sunscreen to the top of your head, or wear a hat.
4. Pay special care to your lips. Look for a lip care product with a high SPF, like Ella Bache’s Great Lipsaver SPF (50+). It is a sheer tint lip protection available in a variety of shades for subtle colour.
5. Check and follow the ‘use by’ date stated on the packaging. Unless indicated by an expiration date, the standard international requirement is that all sunscreens be stable and at their original strength for at least 2 years after opening. While you can use the sunscreen bought last summer, keep in mind that if you are using the appropriate amount, a bottle of sunscreen should not last very long.
When it comes to sun safety, prevention is key. Here are some helpful tips to conduct a full self-check:
- Facing a mirror, examine the body front and back, then right and left sides with arms raised
- Bend the elbows and look carefully at forearms, back of upper arms and palms
- Pay attention to the backs of legs, and feet, spaces between toes and soles
- To examine the back and other hard to reach places, use a hand mirror
We’ve got you covered! Add these to your sun care checklist:
Great 30+ Facesaver
Great 50+ Lipsaver
Great 40+ Sunguard
Great 30+ Sportsbloc 130ml
Great 50+ Sportsbloc 250ml
Great 50+ Facesaver Active