We’ve never been more dependent on digital technology; it eats up over 9 hours of our day (on average) which is more time than most of us spend sleeping. So attached are we to our smart phones, computers, and tablets that we’re convinced we can’t live without them. But that same dependency may be accelerating the way our skin ages.
The culprit is blue light. Also known as High Energy Visible (HEV) light, it’s light with short wavelengths that produce a high amount of energy. We’re exposed to blue light from the sun but also from our favourite devices. While there are some positive benefits that come from blue light (it can elevate your mood and make you more alert), research has shown that it can cause DNA damage and visible changes in our skin.
Blue Light = Premature Ageing
Blue light can penetrate the skin, causing free-radical production along with inflammation, redness, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, and the breakdown of healthy collagen and elastin (the support structures of the skin). While research continues into exactly how much blue light is emitted through our devices, some dermatologists have reported specific patterns of hyperpigmentation in their patients in the same place that they hold their phone up to their face.
As eradicating screen time from our everyday isn’t a realistic solution, it’s worth considering other ways that you can protect yourself against premature ageing.
Your Blue-Light Protection Plan
1. Use Antioxidant-rich skin care daily to fight the effects of free radicals. Our NEW Radiance+ Treatment Oil is super-charged with Antioxidant-rich, 100% natural oils to help reinforce the skin’s natural barrier protection.
2. Wear a physical mineral sunscreen or makeup containing iron oxide. Our Great Sunguard SPF40 Foundation offers broad-spectrum protection in a wearable, medium-coverage foundation. Reapply through the day to maintain the best protection.
3. Use earphones or go hands-free when you use your phone to avoid direct contact with your skin.
4. Invest in a blue-light shield for your devices and computer.
5. Dim the brightness of your phone and computer screen (but not so much that your eyes strain). You can also activate the ‘night shift’ function on your iPhone in Apple settings or download an app like f.lux for Android devlces.
Did you know?
Ella Baché are the leaders in skincare, beauty therapy and education, and we are also the largest premium salon network in Australia. With over 65 years of experience in the skincare industry as well as education, we offer our students flexible study options and a career pathway into our extensive independently owned salon network.